Surgical and non surgical practices are employed by podiatrists to treat problems of the foot and the ankle. Podiatrists further in their career sub specialize in a variety of disciplines to provide effective care and treatment. These include
1. Reconstruction of Rear foot and Ankle Surgery: Podiatrists in this sub discipline specializes in the reconstruction of rear foot and ankle damage by accidents.
2. Sports Medicine: Podiatrists sub specializing in this field attend to the general well being of the foot and lower limb of the athletes. Athletes are prone to high injury and requires the service of podiatrists for the general well being of their foot and ankles.
3. Diabetic limb salvage and wound care .
4. Podopaediatrics: This involves the study of the foot and ankle conditions of children.
5. Forensic Podiatry: This involves the study of footprints, footwear, shoe prints and feet associated with crime scene investigations. Careers are with the investigating agencies.